“… I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held” (Revelation 6:8).

Saturday, May 5, 2007

MARIA AND URSULA, A. D. 1544

Engraving by Jan Luiken, Martyrs Mirror, courtesy Mennonite Library and Archives.


Here love was stronger than death, and firmer than the grave” (cf., Cant. 8:6).


The preacher, a teacher at Delden, turned Ursula around, but she turned back again, and urgently said, "Let me behold the end of my sister, for I also desire to receive the glory into which she shall enter." After Maria was burned, they asked Ursula, whether she would not yet apostatize."No," said she,"not for death; I will not thus forsake the eternal riches." They would also honor her with the sword, but she said, "My flesh is not too good to be burned for the name of Christ." To one of her relatives she said, "Bid John van Beckum good night, and tell him to serve God, to whom I am now about to be offered." When she came to the wood, she clasped her hands, and said, "Our Father which art in heaven." "Yea," said the priest,"there you will find Him." "Because I seek Him there," she said,"I must die this temporal death. If I should confess Him in the bread, I might live longer." When she stepped upon the wood, her foot slipped."I think I am falling off," she said."Stop," cried the tyrant;"she means to apostatize.""No," said she,"the block slips from under me; I will not faint in the Word of God, but constantly adhere to Christ." Thus both remained steadfast unto the end, and sealed the Word of God with their death, in great patience and boldness, leaving us a good example.

No comments: